Side by side in the grocery aisle it can be hard to see a difference
Look closely, can you tell why whole wheat bread helps you to lose weight, when white bread has fewer calories?
- If you have tried points or calorie counting and still struggled to keep the weight off
- Do you still feel hungry after a single portion of food?
- Do you feel sluggish 2 hours after eating?
- Do you store your fat in your stomach?
- Do you eat white bread?
Can you see the difference now? white bread triggers excess insulin. That insulin sucks up the energy you just ate and stores it as fat (belly fat) pronto. You don’t get all the benefits of those calories so you eat more over all to keep your energy up. As your blood sugar rises and falls your moods and emotions follow. You end up feeding your emotions later of treating yourself after an exhausting or stressful day. Just to save 20 calories right now.
- Do you feel satisfied till your next meal?
- Do you have stable energy levels and moods?
- Do you have healthy bones and longer endurance ?
- Do you have lower cholesterol levels
- Do you store fat in your hips rather than your stomach?
- Do you easily maintain your weight?
Do you eat whole wheat bread?
The extra calories in wheat bread come from nutrition. The calcium and potassium together strengthen your bones and boost muscle endurance. The extra bit of fiber keeps your insulin levels stable and reduces the amount of energy stored as fat. In fact the stable insulin levels tell your body it is o.k to burn belly fat. The two kinds of fiber in the whole wheat bread absorb harmful cholesterol and help with digestion. The extra protein and fiber keep you full longer and are proven to be related to lower weight, stabler weight and a longer life.
Why eat whole Bread again? Want a great Recipe for your own whole wheat bread? Try this amazing bread machine recipe. From a great website 100 days of real food. I love the recipes here (photoCourtesy 100 days of real food)
Like this Why? post? Sharing is caring and keep an eye out every week for the next 2 months to see the complete why series.
Have a why question of your own? Share it now in the comments.
I had so much fun today making my first Info-graphic.
What is a Holistic Health Coach?
These are my favorite Healthy Breakfast Recipes for a busy morning or they can double as a comfort food dinner. We are still collecting all of our previous recipes, so check back soon for new quick healthy recipes to come.
Make sure to pair any meal with a vegetable if one is not included in the recipe. Every meal or snack that we pair with a vegetable or simple cucumber tomato salad infinitely increases its healthy benefits to us. If half of every plate is vegetables you are on your way to sustained success.
- Quick cooking Comfort Oatmeal
- Quick and easy Pumpkin Pancakes
- Caramel apple yogurt parfait
- Lemon Cranberry Muffins
- Maple Nut Granola
- Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips
- Vegan Tofu Salsa breakfast Burrito
- Chia Green Breakfast Smoothie
Find more recipes here on our main Recipe page
Breakfast is critical to a having a positive day.
People who eat a healthy Breakfast reap so many benefits on short term and in the long term. Like these…
- Consume less total calories during the day
- Store less calories as fat
- Have greater energy
- Have a more positive mood
- Increased productivity
- Better quality of relationships
- More likely to exercise
- Less likely to develop Diabetes
- Less likely to develop heart disease
How is all this possible?
A healthy breakfast helps to balance blood sugar throughout the day. You are fueling yourself for success from out of the gate. So when you have balanced blood sugar form a healthy breakfast you are more energized, less moody, store less fat and thus have better relationships, less risk of preventable diseases and you get to enjoy yummy food.
I love energy bites. They are the easiest way to make something with kids, that will enjoy and get some great nutrition. The truth is for me energy bites replace store bought snacks for my kids and make a great lunch box or quick morning bite .
Energy bites are not low in sugar, or calories but every calorie is great nutrition and these sugars are just fine for kids or adults after a High Intensity Interval workout #HIIT .
My current favorite recipes are
Best nut holiday energy bar
- 8 oz. (about 1 packed cup) chopped dates
- 1/4 cup natural honey
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats (dry, not cooked)
- 1 cup shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
Combine the dates, honey, chia seeds, flax seeds, almond butter and salt in a food processor, and pulse until smooth and combined. You should be able to stir the mixture — if it is too thick, add in another tablespoon or two of honey.
Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, and stir in the oats, pistachios, dried cranberries, and white chocolate chips until evenly combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Once the mixture is cool (and easier to work with), use a spoon or cookie scoop to shape it into your desired size of energy balls. (Mine were about 1-inch in diameter.) Alternately, you can line a small baking pan with parchment paper, and press the mixture evenly into the pan, let it cool, and then cut into bars.
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. (Storing them in the refrigerator especially helps the energy bites hold their shape.)
This Recipe needed no adapting so great job and shout out to Holistic Health Coach Carrie Vandelac check out her website thanks for the recipe, I loved it!
- 1 cup dried apricots
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
- Sprinkle of salt
- 1 cup whole oats
- 1 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- OPTIONAL: Toast pumpkin seeds. Put them in a pan over medium-heat and stir frequently until they start to give off a warm, nutty aroma.
- Blend apricots, pumpkin, honey, flaxseed, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a food processor or high-speed blender until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl and mix with oats and pepitas.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll into 20 bite-sized balls.
- 1 C quick cook oats
- 1/2 C oat flour* food proceeded oats
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1/8 C brown sugar
- 1/8 C honey
- 1/8 C apple maple sauté
Take roughly 1/2 C of oats and pulse it in a blender or food processor until a smooth powder forms; measure out 1/2 C of oat flour and combine this oat flour* with 1 C quick cooking oats.Add in a pinch of salt, 1/8 tsp. baking soda, and 3/4 tsp. cinnamon along with a pinch of nutmeg. Stir well. Mix in 1/4 C unsweetened applesauce, 1/8 C brown sugar and 1/8 C honey. Add in 1/8 C cooled apple maple sauté. Mix until all ingredients are moist. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Then, using a cookie scoop, create 1 T balls of the granola apple mixture. You’ll get about 12-14 energy bites in total.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Regular best energy bites Recipe (original recipe and Photo Courtesy)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 1/4 cup natural honey
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed (fresh)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy! Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Best Chocolate energy bites
Mint Mocha energy Bites
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1.5 cup dates
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 2-3 tsp ground coffee (instant or regular works)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs or chocolate chips (optional)
1. Place nuts and dates in food processor and process until they breakdown into small pieces.
2. Add all other ingredients and blend a bit more until all the ingredients are mixed, chopped up, and the texture is moldable. If you want the chocolate chips to be in larger chunks, add them at the end after all ingredients have been incorporated. Or just add more chocolate chips/nibs at the end if this is something you are partial to. I left out the choc. chips because this week my sugar cravings are subdued and I would prefer to keep them that way, thanks.
3. Mold your nut mixture into whatever shape you please. Balls, squares, and bars are common shapes and for the talented, try out some sort of animal or other creature. Here it is appropriate to play with your food whilst having a good time. I generally take a tablespoon measuring device and scoop up the nut mixture and then mold and form into shapes. It is common for these things to look like poop. (Best tasting poop I’ve ever had though)
If you are having issues molding the nut mixture, store in the fridge for a bit until mixture hardens and cools up and then start molding. This should help.
4. Eat right away or store in an air-tight container in the fridge. Will last quite a while and the flavors get even better after time.
What do you do to keep your kids excited about healthy food? I really want to know! Share your favorite healthy kids snack here in the comments.
This was one of my favorite health assignments as a resident blogger on Skinnymom.com.
Skinnymom always has great current information on every trend and practical info that we need. I loved this assignment because I hate giving over the counter cold remedies, for regular fall colds that the doctor can’t help with, to my kids. I never know what is in them and I have starting giving homeopathic cold remedies and herbs to them as well. The problem is again, I don’t really know what’s in it and their is less supervision on these products.
So I asked around, researched, experimented and learned to make simple cold remedies myself. Based on Ayurvedic ideas, personal anecdotes and science I have found the remedies I use with my family and that I want to share with you.
The best part about these Remedies is that you know exactly what you are giving to your children. To me that is priceless.
The 21 Day Sugar Detox
This detox is an introduction to healthy eating and whole foods. Park your crazy at the door because this is not a restrictive lifetime commitment. Instead, this is the beginning of your healthy lifestyle journey and a window into the kinds of food you want to incorporate into your and which foods are sabotaging your Success.
You can do this detox over any holiday or on weekends and Shabbat without worrying about having weird food to eat or having to measure portions.
So what? Why should you begin your journey right here, with this detox?
Listen to what Tammy says about her experience.
I met with Lilian for the sugar detox program. It was a difficult start but Lillian helped me through it with being there for me and answering all my questions. I learned a lot about myself and I lost a few pounds while under her counseling. I really enjoyed my time with her and would recommend this type of counseling to all my friends.4 Months LaterTo all my fellow friends who may be skeptical about a sugar detox program. I have news for you it really works! I started this detox program in Feburary and I did the complete month with a few slight modifications and have lost 16 lbs and have stayed on track! Trust me if I can do it so can you. It works and it makes you feel so much better in all aspects of your life.Tammy BergmanSouth Carolina, USAThis is not a quick fix, but it will help you to create a lifetime of great health and sustained weight control.
Benefits for you:
- Tools and recipes to cook healthy whole foods for life.
- Confidence in carbohydrates. No more fear or counting carbs.
- Understanding of your cravings and strategies to fight them
- Control over your mind/body connection and create cooperation between the two
- Weight loss
- % Body fat Loss especially Belly Fat
- Clearer Skin
Tammy Chose to be coached during her 21 Day Sugar Detox.
21 Day Sugar Detox Online Group Coaching Program
If you like a personal touch and want to learn how to individualize your program Contact me about the January 2, 2014 online Group Coaching Program for the 21 day Sugar Detox. Registration opens Dec 1, 2013, so become a member and stay in the loop so that you can snap up the limited early bird prices we are releasing to members only very soon.
Have you tried the 21 day sugar Detox? Want to Try it right now? Commit to Video Blog your journey and complete the 21 day sugar detox and receive on free 20 minute coaching call to help you get started.
I love thanksgiving. It is my birthday as well and so I associate the feelings and tastes of fall with happy memories.
One of my top 5 happiest food memory is the thanksgiving meal. If you love thanksgiving to and celebrating gratitude is something that touches you, see my previous post on Gratitude and Thanksgiving.
Every Year I pin lots of recipes and I look for thanksgiving recipes that are healthy and promote my lifestyle. I want my table to be busting with food I am proud of for their presentation, taste and nutrition.
I am so grateful this year to be a resident Health Blogger, I am the Holistic Mama on SkinnyMom.com and I chose to write for them because they get it. Motherhood is about more than looking good, it is about feeling great confident and getting on with life. The site is about being skinny, but getting the skinny on topics that we mom’s need to know.
This Thanksgiving they put together an amazing Thanksgiving cookbook full of healthy thanksgiving recipes that you can keep forever. Download it now and let me know here which recipes you will be trying this year.
I am making going to try
- Pumpkin Pasta Bake with sage and Parmesan. * switching for whole wheat Pasta
- The Skinny Slaw *switching brown sugar for natural honey
- Skinny Pumpkin Banana Quick Bread
- Skinny Cranberry Punch
For more tips of portion control and balancing your holiday menu Read More on this post for Thanksgiving portion control without poisoning your holiday.
Try this healthy Recipe on Hanukkah.
Frying is an essential part of the Holiday. Use it to your advantage to introduce healthy foods in a new and fun context.
Daily frying is not healthy, but when frying remember to use unrefined vegetable oil, coconut oil or plain olive oil. Never extra virgin olive oil. Fat is not what makes us fat, despite the cliche, sugar is the main culprit. This Hanukkah fry your veggies but limit you sugar and enjoy the holiday without damaging your health or waistline.
Get excited about experimenting with vegetables and use the fryer to add flavor and interest to new vegetables instead of sufganiot.
Try this Healthy Hanukkah recipe
Recipe/ Photo translated and edited from Courtesy
250 g potatoes, peeled and chopped
200 g cauliflower, cut into florets
11/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup (80 g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1/2 cup (60 g) part-skim mozzarella for pizza, grated
salt and pepper, to taste
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup 85% whole wheat flour
2/3 cup bread crumbs or panko
oil for frying
Boil potatoes in salted water. When they are soft , remove the strainer and into the same water put the cauliflower florets and cook them for 2-3 minutes ( till firm ) , then strain . Mash mashed potatoes and chop the cauliflower cauliflower finely . Place the Potatoes and cauliflower into a bowl and mix with the remaining ingredients – parsley , egg yolk , olive oil and both cheeses. Add salt/ pepper to taste.
Shape into oblong croquettes . Use a ruler such as 1/ 4 cup to be of equal size . Dredge each in flour, egg and finally in breadcrumbs .
Fry in deep pan with oil. Remember to heat oil before frying till spitting. For more easy tips for frying, get the technique here.
Let drain on paper towels and serve immediately after candle lightening
How do you like this Hanukkah recipe?
If you think
* Carbs make me fat
* Carbs are just bread, pasta, crackers, candy
* Carbs all created equal
* Vegan and Vegetarian Carbs are all great
Break out of the confusion and get empowered about Carbohydrates!
You are ready to make to a change. Come ask your most pressing carb craving questions live!
Your Personal Holistic Health Expert
Here it is, in case you missed it!
The last 10 years have been about healing myself from my misadventures in dieting and truly loving my body and respecting my health.
At 20 I made some goals:
- Lose 1 kilo after every pregnancy
- Be more confident in my body and muscle tone
- Raise my kids to be healthy so that they can achieve their goals
- Support myself and my new husband to follow our dreams
10 years Later: I did it
- I lost that kilo after all 4 pregnancies
- I have a better body now, than I did then and I am much more fit and body confident
- My kids eat healthy food and are strong in mind and body (thanks to G-d)
- We made aliyah moved to Israel (my husband’s dream) I became a holistic health coach and I get to help girls and women feel empowered around their health as well.
At 30 it is time for some new goals: Goals 30s
Hold me accountable for my goals 30s. If you follow this blog, I have been taking about my birthday Nov 27 a lot lately. I have 4 weeks to get started on this new decade and see where I can go from here.
When a client tell me they want to make a real change I tell them:
- Define and Set goals
- Understand and state why you chose these goals
- Create accountability, partners, coaches, public goal setting!
- Reward yourself along the way
- Accept you will not be perfect, get started
Watch me share my goals 30s with you right now
What do you want to change in the next decade? Share one goal here with us in the comments. Declaring your goal is the first step to achieving it.
I want to … because I have not… This will help me…
This statement is key to achieving that goal because whenever you flounder , you can read it again, acknowledge your fear of failure and the sweet reward that success means to you.
Share your goal now here in the comments below and own your future success